Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Homestretch


Things are happily starting to come together.  We received Des' car seat in the mail the other day.  Never thought I would be so excited to see something so inconsequential in my life.  I can just picture his little body all snuggled up in it; it makes me happy just thinking about it.  :)

Tim ordered the crib and dresser/changing table last week and it should take another week or so before they arrive.  While I am very happy with our selections, it was still way more expensive than I would have liked, but a compromise between design & affordability as far as all of our choices.  I think we made the right decisions.  
T's been working really hard for the past month+ on the floor in the nursery and it's finally near completion.  Last steps are the polyurethane coatings (3) which should be completed by this weekend.  Here's a not-so-sweet pic of me (we were headed out the door but T decided we needed to record his progress on the nursery, so he had me step into the picture,) but a  good look at the almost finished floor as well as the paint colors.  If you remember what the floors looked like before, it is a huge difference and very similar to the floors in our bedroom.  I think we have both learned patience on this project and I'm so excited for everything to be finalized.

We've had some insane weather here in the past two days.  3-5" of snow yesterday, freezing rain/sleet overnight, and another 3-5" of snow today.  By day's end we'll have about 8-10", so needless to say we're staying home from work today.  I went in yesterday, and since I didn't want Tim to have to drive me, I started my normal walk to the bus stop (the farther/flat route, not the short/uphill or stairs route) and Tim insisted on walking with me and standing at the stop with me until the bus arrived.  Needless to say it was slow going, so the normal 10-15 minutes wait took about 35 minutes and once I got on, we were packed like sardines.  Thankfully, there is always one or two kind souls who offer up their seats to the fat pregnant girl, so I got a seat but was squished between two of the largest women in the world.  I only stayed at work for about an hour and a half and just emailed myself some files to work on from home.  No huge looming deadlines, so it was a pretty easy afternoon once I got home again.  By that time, Tim insisted on picking me up (apparently he "loves" driving in the snow--I think it reminds him of his pizza delivery driving days in high school) so I stopped being stubborn and took him up on his offer.

When we woke up this morning there was 2" icicles hanging from all the power lines and the snow has restarted again in earnest.  With all the ice that fell last night, I will not be attempting to go into work today, and I doubt any of my co-workers will either.  Tim's working from home again, aka: doing the first coat of varnish on the floor, so that is handy.  My magnolia tree out back looks like it is split down the middle from the top with so much heavy ice holding it down.  It is a sad sight and will need some tending to, once everything melts.  I love that tree so much and I hope it survives this.  

Started going to the OB once a week now, and had our last visit on Monday.  Dr. B is such a good dude and I feel so reassured that he is the right person to help deliver Des.  He spent a good 30-40 minutes answering our questions about various tests and choices we have to make in the next few weeks prior to delivery.  Our last midwife made it seem like any questions were to be answered as quickly as possible with her pat answers.  Bowen really gives us all pieces of information, encouraging us to make up our own minds.  His bed side manner is also very reassuring as he is quite soft spoken and honest about everything he says.  He referred me to a chiropractor and I have my first appointment this afternoon, but it will most likely have to be rescheduled with this weather.  I hope getting my body into alignment will help me sleep better as well as get Desi into the best position for labor (head down, Occiput/Left Occiput Anterior position) which, from my sister's experience, I know can really effect ease of labor.  

Tonight is also our last childbirth class with Pam & Amanda (the "dueling doulas" as we like to call them) so I feel ready/prepared for everything that lies in front of us.  We'll probably have to reschedule with this weather, but classes have been enlightening and very comfortable so far.  The two of them really make the perfect pair as they are so different but so complimentary in their attributes and personalities.  As of this coming Saturday I will be considered "full term" so Des could come whenever and be considered perfectly fine.  I can't wait!  Not much longer...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait either!!!