Sunday, January 11, 2009

Great Expectations

Yesterday was 42 days away from Desi's due date.  I know that expecting him on that day is unrealistic, but it's good to have a goal to look forward to.  In reality, I've set my sights for a few weeks later, knowing that that will probably be more practical, but it's hard not to be excited!  I've actually had the Pointer Sisters' song "I'm So Excited" running through my head for the past week or so.  (I know, I know... I'm a dork)

Had our second/last shower yesterday and it was really nice.  My sister hosted at her house and it was great to see a bunch of people I hadn't seen in awhile.  Still have so much to buy, but have received a lot of the little things required for a baby in the house (blankets, bibs, onsies, etc.)  Henry was so sweet to sleep the entire time and once everyone left, we got to hang out with him for a little bit.  Tim and I babysat (first!) for him Friday night and he was a doll.  After pulling a bunch of baby tricks on us (sneaky poops, never ending hunger, peeing as soon as his diaper was off) he settled down in Tim's arms and slept for almost two hours, holding onto Tim's thumb like it was his lifeline.  It was adorable.  And good practice for us both.  

Tim's still finishing the floor in Des' room and until that large task is complete, the nursery will remain on hold.  There is so much to get in order and the date is ever-approaching.  I'm beside myself with anticipation, but trying so hard to be patient.  There is still so much to do before he arrives.  I guess it will keep me busy, at the very least.

This week we begin private birth classes with our doula, which will continue once a week, for the next 3 weeks. No matter how much I think I already know about the process, the more I realize there's so much left to learn.  Unfortunately, going into birth with the expectation that everything will work out if you just have faith in the medical system, doesn't seem to be realistic.  As much as I have faith in my ability to birth and my advocates' (Tim, doula, Dr. Bowen) ability to help me birth, I want to be ready to be flexible for any possible scenario, so that I can make Desi's entry into this world the best it can be.  No stress, just knowledge.  Knowledge is power.  And love.  That's a big part of it too.  

No comments: